Monday, October 20, 2008

Support, Encouragement, Motivation... oh my!

I was so excited to share the news and start discussing Team Challenge for the first time with friends and family. My friend Natalie asked me "Well, who are you doing the race with?" I told her no one I knew that I'd be training with others who joined Team Challenge. Without hesitation Natalie said, "Well I'll do it with you". She meant every word! I was absolutely stunned that she said this without knowing too much about what was involved. Not only did we each need to prepare our bodies for completing the 13.1 mile course, but we need to raise a minimum of $3,600! I've learned that when Natalie says she's committed, she means it 110%. Words simply cannot describe this feeling of gratitude.

Out of sight, never out of mind. An amazing friend of mine from college, Carrie Yehle, was actually the first person I met at Rochester Institute of Technology (RIT), during pre season for soccer our freshman year. I simply can't give this story justice, but we both knew we'd be lifelong friends and our friendship hasn't been anything short of that. Carrie began running a lot after I graduated from RIT and entered races in the Rochester area and completed a few 1/2 marathons. I remember talking to Carrie a lot about these races in complete amazement of her accomplishments. She would describe the feeling of training and it paying off by reaching and crossing that finish line. A feeling I never imagined I would experience myself. One of her pursuits in life was to attempt running a race in each state while visiting her friends at the same time. I couldn't wait to share the news with her that I will be taking on the Challenge to cross the finish line in Miami. Carrie, who's up in North Dakota attending Grad School, not only was ecstatic over this news and wished me luck and donated to my cause, but said she's going to begin training as well to cross that finish line with me in Miami! I simply can't describe the feeling. I'm extremely blessed and grateful to be surrounded by phenomenal people.

Believe it or not, two other mutual friends of Natalie’s and mine, Tim and Collins have since decided to join the DC/Virginia Chapter Team Challenge. This journey is just beginning and already is truly remarkable.

After my initial email to friends, family, colleagues, professors and peers I was blown away by the generous support. I heard from others who where personally affected by Crohn’s and those who’s loved ones are affected by these diseases. All the messages hit home for me and helps motivate me to train hard and fundraise strong.

More Tales from the Trails to come stay tuned....!!!

No comments: