Friday, October 17, 2008

How it all began..

After my diagnosis of Crohn’s disease in August of 2003 I periodically received direct mailers and information from the Crohn's and Colitis Foundation of America (CCFA), however my address in their database was my parent’s house. I’m not entirely sure how my Mom came across this event, but back in May, she noticed a 3 mile walk event called ‘Take Steps’ which raises money for CCFA.
A. I was so impressed she took notice in this event
B. She thought it would be great to do it with me!

I just moved from TX to MD and my second weekend in MD I drove up to NJ to join my mom in this great cause. Words of wisdom…. If you’re going to drink a lot of water before embarking on a 3 mile walk, make sure you use the restroom beforehand ;) Alternatively, a nice relaxed walk turns into a run very quickly, haha. Mom and I literally raced to the bathrooms.

Fast forward to August, a former tenant, whom I've never met (but receive her mail every so often) was sent a postcard from CCFA. Something caught my eye about this mailer and I held onto it. This postcard was advertising the ING Half Marathon in Miami and joining Team Challenge, CCFA’s new endurance training program. I was very eager to do some more research about this half marathon, but wasn't convinced it was for me. I didn't mention it to anyone; after all, did I really think I could run 13.1 miles?!?! This is a girl who thinks a distance over 400m is long distance! I held onto that mailer for about a month, psyching myself up mentally for this extreme Challenge that I wanted to do. I signed up to attend the first information session on September 10th to learn more about the details of Team Challenge.

At this meeting I met our DC/Virginia Team Leader, the chapter's director and other key individuals. I also met other interested people, who like myself, was attracted to attend this info session and wondering if running a half marathon was possible. I was completely hooked and knew this was definitely something I wanted to do, it just felt right, so I signed up that night!

1 comment:

fischfins1012 said...

Hayley, your blog is a wonderful extension of yourself...friendly and natural...just loved your description of our walk for Crohn's and Colitis... it was hysterical!! Keep up the great job, you make us very proud, always trying to help others in need...Keep training to make yourself strong, but dont overdo it where it hurts!Good luck!Luv, Mama >*}}}}><